Ontario Christian School Association
Internet and Electronic Mail Usage Policy
The Internet is a powerful school tool that can provide a great deal of useful information. Unfortunately, it can also be a distraction from productive work time when browsing non-business related sites. In an effort to clarify our position on the use of the Internet while utilizing OCS property, we have developed the following guidelines for all employees:
- Exploring the Internet should be done before or after work hours or during the lunch break. Using appropriate sites for school purposes is unrestricted as long as it is reasonable.
- Downloading files such as PDFs, or Power Point presentations, and/or picture files is acceptable as long as copyright laws are not violated and downloaded files do not take up an excessive amount of storage space on the campus network. The download of MP3s, feature films or games is strictly prohibited. If you are unsure or have questions about downloading files please consult the IT department before proceeding.
- Downloading and installing programs from the Internet is strictly prohibited.
- The display or transmission of sexually-explicit images, messages or cartoons, or any transmission that contains ethnic slurs, racial epithets, or anything that may be construed as harassment or disparagement of others based on their race, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, religious or political beliefs is not permitted, before, during, or after school hours.
- Use common sense with websites, especially with visitors in the area.
OCS has the right and capability to monitor Internet browsing by each user on our system. However, our goal is that employees will make this unnecessary. At OCS, we have the privilege of Internet access and it is important that we utilize this valuable asset for our mutual benefit.
Electronic mail is to be used for school business purposes. No one may solicit, promote or advertise any organization, product or service though the use of electronic mail or anywhere else on OCS premises during work hours.
Employees are not permitted to send electronic mail that contains ethnic slurs, racial epithets, or anything that may be construed as harassment or disparagement of others based on their race, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, or political belief. We reserve the right to determine when an employee is sending excessive or improper electronic mail.
The username and password system is the foundation of maintaining security and confidentiality on the school's network and telecommunications systems. Passwords, system telephone number, and similar information may not be disseminated to the public and must be retained as confidential information by the user. For privacy reasons, employees may not attempt to gain access to another employees personal file of email messages or network folder without the latter's expressed permission.
The electronic mail and network file storage is a school asset and is subject to review or monitoring at any time by the administration without notice.
Violations of the above policies will result in actions as defined in the Ontario Christian School Association Acceptable Use Policy.