Dear OC families, staff, students and local community,
The health and safety of the Ontario Christian community is our greatest priority. The ever-changing COVID-19 situation has caused educational institutions around our county, state, and nation to consider various scenarios, and some have taken action. We have sought to take a measured and thoughtful approach to our response to the COVID-19 pandemic and national state of emergency, depending on accurate information and advice from government and health authorities.
Though there has been no known exposure of COVID-19 at Ontario Christian, and there are no known cases in San Bernardino County, we recognize that our families come from a wide geographic area. Out of an abundance of caution, we are temporarily shifting to remote teaching and learning beginning next week. Please review the following important details:
- After this weekend, all school activities and events are suspended until at least April 3.
- Monday, March 16, is a Teacher Work Day. Students may come to campus between the hours of 9:00 am and noon to quickly pick up materials or belongings. Families with students in younger grades may check out a digital device if needed.
- In the next 24 hours, students and parents will receive an email from their campus principal and the Preschool Director with specific instructions about how remote teaching and learning will work.
- On Wednesday, March 18, ALL K-12 students will begin remote learning.
- Campus offices of Ontario Christian School will remain open each day as appropriate.
- April 4-April 13, Spring Break as scheduled.
- April 14 – Probable date for return to on-campus learning.
These decisions were not made lightly. Though we have been preparing for this situation for several weeks, we recognize that there may be some challenges along the way. We also recognize that these temporary changes in the way we deliver instruction may be an inconvenience for some members of our community. We are confident that remote learning will ensure academic continuity. We are grateful for your support and for your patience as we resolve any issues and manage this temporary learning environment.
As a community of faith, we trust in the assurance that God remains in control of this world. In the midst of uncertainty, may we be a people of hope, peace and light in a world that can be so dim. In John 14:27, Jesus leaves his disciples with these words: “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
We are navigating through uncertain times, so let us unite through our prayers for wisdom, patience, and peace. Join us as we pray for those affected by this virus throughout the world and for our healthcare and government officials who are making decisions.
May we be agents of peace to those around us, safely serving and loving others.
Ontario Christian School
In case you missed it, please also see Jennifer Thompson’s earlier update from Thursday, March 12:
May God’s Peace Be More Contagious Than Any Virus
Tuesday, March 17:
Remote Teaching and Learning Launch
Friday, March 20:
Superintendent Update #5
In case you missed it, please also see Ontario Christian School’s Board of Trustees Message from Saturday, March 14:
A Message from OC’s Board of Trustees
- How to Cope with Anxiety about Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Talking to Children about COVID-19 (NASP Parent Handout)
- Parent Cheat Sheet: Dealing with Fears, Youth Edition